Charles Francis Annesley Voysey (1857-1941)
British architect, designer & typographer
Click here to view items from this designer/maker
CFA Voysey was the architect and designer son of the Rev. Charles Voysey, founder of the Theistic Church. After working as a pupil in the offices of JP Seddon, he set up his own office in 1882 and concentrated initially on decorative work, including his designs for fabrics and wallpaper. Joined the Art Workers` Guild in 1882 and built his first house in 1888, a commission for MH Lakin at Bishops` Itchington. He soon developed his characteristic style, linear, simple and hardly any surface decoration. In 1900 he completed his own house, The Orchard at Chorley Wood, Hertfordshire, for which he designed most of the furniture. In 1914 at the outbreak of WW1, his architectural practice virtually ceased but he took up decorative designs again in the 1920`s. Voysey also designed metalwork, carpets and ceramics.